Involvement in Home Wiki
Wiki Contribution in various projects ( As on 4th January 2016):
1)Tamil Wikipedia : 2607 Edits .
2)English Wiki : 807 Edits
3)Wiki Commons : 370 Edits
4)Wikidata : 241 Edits .
5)Meta Wiki : 57 Edits .
6)Tamil Wiki Quote : 23 Edits .
7)WikiCOmmons – Using a Bot there , under the same name – Can see the contributions here
1) I first got involved as an English Wikipedian,inspired by the idea that that knowledge must be free and common. I changed track with regards to home wiki a while later, in 2013, around the time of the 10th anniversary celebrations of Tamil Wikipedia, https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tamil_wikipedia_10_yrs.21.jpg .
I was invited to the function in my capacity as secretary of Free Software Foundation Tamil Nadu. After discussions and sharing of experiences with Tamil Wikipediansthere, I decided to focus on Tamil Wikipedia Over the last two-and-a-half years, most of my efforts have been dedicated to strengthening Tamil Wikipedia .
2) I have also contributed to Wiki Commons, specifically focussing on the conversion of English images to Tamil .
=== Collaborative idea development across Indic Wikipedia Communities ===
3) In addition to individual contributions, I also engaged in community activites by participating in village pump discussions. I was a representative of the Tamil Wikipedia community in the India Community Consultation 2014 -a community consultation about the future of Wikimedia work in India . https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/India_Community_Consultation_2014 . This was the largest such exercise involving near about 15 Wikipedia Communites from India and other stakeholders such asCIS and WMF .
4) I was unanimously selected as the representative of Tamil Wikipedia to the 10th Anniversary Celebration Conference of Bengali Wikipedia. https://ta.wikipedia.org/wiki/விக்கிப்பீடியா:ஆலமரத்தடி/தொகுப்பு101#Invitation_to_Bengali_Wikipedia_10th_Anniversary_Celebration_Conference_2015 . At the conference I spoke in the Open Discussion on Collaboration https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Bengali_Wikipedia_10th_Anniversary_Celebration_Kolkata/Programs/Collaboration_among_Indic_language_communities among Indic Language Communities and shared experiences from the Tamil Wikipediacommunity.https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sibi_Kanagaraj_-_Open_Discussion_-_Collaboration_among_Indic_Language_Communities_-_Bengali_Wikipedia_10th_Anniversary_Celebration_-_Jadavpur_University_-_Kolkata_2015-01-10_3162.JPG
5) I have been involved in variousoutreach and policy-level discussions(details insubsequent sections.
6) I have been involved in on-wiki and off-wiki activities towardsaddressing Gender Gap in Wikipedia .
On wiki , increasing and retaining new wikipedians
7 )Wikiminminigal – The first of its kind to have a Wiki Gnome Equivalent in Tamil .
Policy level outcomes
8) I was part of the team which helped establish a partnership with Tamil Virtual Academy (TVA), an autonomous institution established by the Government of Tamil Nadu. In August 2015, The Government of Tamil Nadu made an announcement in the State Legislative Assembly that it will be partnering with Wikipedia and will work to release various resources under Creative Commons licenses. Please check page 91 in the *policy document available on the web here <http://www.tn.gov.in/documents/dept/17>
Please have a look at the following mail for further details
9)I was involved in the recent Community calls organised by Smriti Gupta from WMF for clearing the air around “Wikipedia Zero” and adherence to Net Neutrality principle .
Roles and responsibilities
10) As Wiki-years start passing by, Ihave been recommended for Adminship in Tamil Wikipedia .https://ta.wikipedia.org/wiki/விக்கிப்பீடியா:நிருவாகிகள்_பட்டியல்/பரிந்துரைகள்
1)A notable outcome in my view is the development of the project page . – https://ta.wikipedia.org/wiki/விக்கிப்பீடியா:விக்கித்_திட்டம்_விளக்கப்படம்_வரைதல்/தேவைப்படும்_படங்கள்/தொகுப்பு01
I almost single-handedly completed 90 per cent of the work for translating of all English-labled SVG files and completed the community’s requests for most of the png and jpeg files too . https://ta.wikipedia.org/s/3bov
with the completion of this project,almost all the labelled diagrams have been converted to Tamil . https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:ListFiles?limit=500&user=Commons+sibi&ilshowall=1.Currently except for very tough PNG images, all the diagramatic systems have been converted to Tamil and added to respective articles .
Gender Gap related activities
On Wiki Activities
1)Lilavathi’s Daughter initative in Tamil Wikipedia .
It was an initiative to create wikipedia articles on Women Indian Scientists .
Leelavathi’s Daughter in Tamil
Leelavathi’s Daughter Edit-athon
Leelavathi’s Daughter in Indic Languague ( Tamil)
2)Initiated the Feminism Portal in Tamil Wikipedia
and also initiated the subsequent Wikiproject:Feminism in Tamil
Off Wiki / Outreach activitieson Gender Gap
1)I was a volunteer for a Wiki Women’s workshop jointly organised byWikimedia India Chapter and Free Software Foundation Tamil Nadu
2) I handled WikiWomen Workshop on International Women’s Day
3)Planning as a part of Women’s history month
Community Consulation process and its follow up
OCR for fecilitating Wikisource
3) One of the outcmomes of theCommunity consultation process https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_India/Condensed_proposed_roadmap_for_Wikimedia_work_in_India wasactionalble point (1.1.8) to develop/support a good OCR for India Languagues . Subsequent to this, I worked on improving a Apache 2 Licenesed Tesseract OCR. https://github.com/commonssibi/Google-OCR-for-Tamil-Testing- . I also helped in enriching an IEG grant for the same by volunteering for it . https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants_talk:IEG/Tamil_OCR_to_recognize_content_from_printed_books#Round_2_2014_Decision. The IEG did not make it though. At a later stage, even asthe while primary work for a OCR for wikisource upload was being done by Shrinivasan https://github.com/tshrinivasan/OCR4wikisource , I was involved in testing and reporting the issues .
Got donation of photos and uploaded them in Wiki Commons
4)Follow up on Point number 2.1.14 – BLP photographs
After the ICC 2014,I held a series of sessions with aprofessional photographer from a newspaper and helped sort out and verify his pictures, renamed them and guided him towardsuploading them to commons .https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_India/Condensed_proposed_roadmap_for_Wikimedia_work_in_India#Follow_up_on_Point_number_2.1.14_-_BLP_photographs
The contributions can be found here
Community events to enrich contents
As an virtual organiser
1) Wiki Marathon 2015
2)Wiki Marathon 2015 – Member of the Organising Committee (ஒருங்கிணைப்புக் குழு)
Physically mentored new Tamil Wikipedians
2)While paralelly editing and contributing , also part of the team which organised an editathon @ fsftn office and introduction to Tamil Wikipedia and made them create articles
Account Creator Access for the event
அக்டோபர் 18, 2013 பெரியார் மணியம்மை பல்கலைக்கழகத்தில் விக்கிப்பீடியா அறிமுகம்
October 18 , 2013 Periyar Maniyammai University – Wikipedia event .
Representation in Tamil Consultation events
1)A common minimal workable plan preparation was undertaken by Tamil Virtual Academy. In this,I participated in the track on “Wikimedia projects”
2)Tamil Wikipedia Training event on August 29 , 2015 – It was held for writers
News paper report
Feminism Portal and Project
Even after 11 years of existence, Tamil WIkipedia did not have a seperate Feminism portal / Project on Feminism.Lanching and working on these initiatives was a highlight of my work as a Wikipedian.
Have got almost 100 % support and endorsement from my Tamil community for representing them in cross-community and cross knowledge platforms
1)2015 Global Congress on Intellectual Property and the Public Interest – https://ta.wikipedia.org/wiki/விக்கிப்பீடியா:ஆலமரத்தடி#UPDATE:_2015_Global_Congress_on_Intellectual_Property_and_the_Public_Interest
Support of 17 Fellow community wikipedians
2)Bengali Wikipedia 10 th Anniversary Celebration
Support of 12 Fellow Wikipedians
3)India Community Consultation – 2014
This, to me, is a highly valuable token of the faith the community has chosen to repose in my work and ability to deal with various situations. While edit counts are counts , I personally feel that within a community,it is mutual faiththat “counts”
Being part of the Tamil Wiki Community
1) As duly noted here https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:India_Community_Consultation_2014#Suggestions ….” Some communities (one notable example is the Tamil community) are remarkably organized and self-sufficient, and I believehave found (I think) a comfortable modus vivendi with the rest of the movement, where they run their own programs and activities, reject “interventions”, and occasionally seek and receive WMF grants to support those activities. I think that’s fantastic, and any community that is interested in this model and able to adopt it would be absolutely welcome to do so “..
Considering the number of articles and the workforce,Tamil Wikipedia Community has achieved a lot qualitatively speaking. It is a source of pride to be part of such a community.
Representing Tamil Wiki Community in Global stage
1) The Global Congress on Intellectual Property and the Public Interest was held in Delhi.Representing the Tamil Wikipedia community there was a great experience.I was able to learn more about areas such as Open Access, Software Patents, Creative Commons, Open Data, Open Educational Resources, Data Visualisation and I plan to use them for betterment of the community .http://plan.fsftn.org/b/LnicrS8jmNJDRj5C8/new-areas-of-free-knowledge
Signing of MOU with Tamil Virtual Academy (TVA), an autonomous institution established by the Government of Tamil Nadu
In a first of its kind in Tamil Nadu, a MoU is about to be signed between TVA and Wkimedia India Chapter
https://ta.wikipedia.org/s/4o7x. I am happy to be part of the initiative . This is a logical culmination of the common minimum program preparation and consultation held . www.tamilvu.org/coresite/download/recommendation/Outreach.pdf .A 4- month effort leading to an MoU is a proud moment for any Wiki Community member .
Learning from failed efforts
Wikiminminigal – The first of its kind to have a Wiki Gnome Equivalent in Tamil .
While we tried to devise a 21-day program, after the first 7 days, we encountered issues and the plan did not work out as per the road map .This was a useful lesson on why the new Wikipedians are not retained and helped us come up with new stratergies .
In wiki apprecitation
1)Appreciated for encouraging new wikipedians in Tamil Wikipedia
One among the 3 to be awarded it first on 16 August, 2015 after the policy decision was made in Tamil Wikipedia to implement the same.
Awarded barn star for encouraging New Editors
In Tamil Wikipedia , when I started making my contributions , there was no individual BOT to welcome new users. I would do so individually by watching recent changes and also carefully follow the new editors , make on-article talk page suggestions and also on their personal talk page .
Its named as “விக்கிப்பீடியா ஊக்குவிப்பாளர் பதக்கம்” .
= 4)How do you usually share your experiences (or things you’ve learned) with your community? Examples of on-wiki summaries/reports, blog posts, meetup talks, etc. are welcome here. ==
I prefer giving the collaborative links at the beginning and then later pointing them out my personal blog and presentations at various events about Free Knowledge
1)India Community Consultation
For the India Community Consultation I have presented my views at various points and have taken responsibilites at various times . they can be accesed here .
2)A video talk recording by me Wikimedia India Chapter about the free knowledge eco system in which Wikipedia thrives
<<<To add the video >>>
3)Personal Blog (Under Construction )
4)THe way forward – Presentation made during a Tamil Languague Computing and Free Knowldge conferencne (Presentation in Tamil)
5)Free Knowledge Presenations
All my Free Knowledge presentations can be found in
6 ) August 8 ,9 th Meeting in Tamil Virtual Academy to work for a common minimal working plan for Wikipedia and Free Software areas
Date : August 9 , 2015
தேதி :ஆகஸ்ட் 9 , 2015
Theme : Wikipedia projects , Free Software Action plan
அமர்வு : விக்கிஊடகம் , கட்டற்ற மென்பொருட்கள் செயல் திட்டம்
7) August 22 , 23 , 2015 meeting . For preparing the materials for Tamil Wikipedia events
Though not present, I have given the inputs via face to face meeting
Note : The above is closely based on a scholarship application which I recently wrote .